This week has been kinda stressful, mostly to do with a french translation of Back Home. In an attempt to get as many of my books out to a french market as possible i made the decision to take on another translator and it all kind of went tits-up (english'ism for *wrong*).
Things to bear in mind:
- I have weekly, sometimes daily, emails/PMs/requests asking for my books to be in other languages, not just French, German and Italian.
- I am desperate to get my stories into other languages so that readers who don't know English can read them. I want everyone who wants them to have access to my stories. What author wouldn't want that?
- I have luckily found translators for French, Italian and German translations. People I trust (Benedicte Girault for French, Claudia Milani for Italian, Chris McHart for German).
- All of my books, to date, that have been translated have sold enough to cover their fees and cover art. Some have been wildly successful, some have just broken even.
- I want to keep the rights for my books – all of them. As far as I am concerned, unless I have no choice then I want to keep the rights to all my books, because trusting publishers is something I don't do much of anymore. Not after getting ripped off by Silver and ARe, and then messed around by Totally Bound (Pride).
- I don't speak French.
- Or German.
- Or Italian.
- Or Spanish.
- In fact I only got a CSE grade 2 in French (and only Brits over the age of 46 will remember CSE's LOL)